Constipation is a disease of the digestive system, in which the stool becomes unnaturally dry and hard. Stool does not pass smoothly even after exerting pressure.
This occurs due to an irregular lifestyle. Non-fibrous fast food, junk food coupled with irregular lifestyle gives rise to metabolic disorders in the body and occurrence of constipation. It is generally associated with bloating & abdominal pain. In chronic cases, it gives rise to haemorrhoids and anal fissures.
Constipation is easily controllable by:
- Drinking of water, preferably warm; in excess of thirst, frequently.
- Taking 5-6 roasted munakkas (Raisins with seeds) after removal of seeds with one glass warm milk.
- 1 teaspoonful Triphala powder with lukewarm water before going to bed.
Yet in some cases, special treatment is required. Following are some remedies. Any of these may be applied:
- Take Saunf (fennel seeds), Senna (Cassia senna) leaves, Baal Harad (Terminalia chebula) & Amla (Indian gooseberry) in equal quantity. Mix all, grind & make fine powder. Take 1 teaspoonful of this powder with lukewarm water twice a day. It will cure constipation, stop it’s intake after the constipation is cured.
- Take Ajwain (Carom seeds) 100 gms., Black salt 20 gms., Heeng (Asafoetida) 2 gms. & 7 lemons.
Put Ajwain on a glass plate, squeeze lemon juice on it and let it dry in shade, avoiding direct sunlight. When dried, again squeeze lemons & dry in shade. Repeat it 4-5 times.
Now grind ajwain, Black salt & heeng, mix & make fine powder and store in an airtight glass bottle.
Take 1 tsp of this powder, with lukewarm water, after an hour of meals, twice a day. This will permanently remove even the most chronic constipation & gastritis.
Precautions to be taken to cure Constipation
- Fried, heavy, spicy & chilly food must be avoided.
- Fast & junk food as also the food preparations with maida should not be eaten.
- Wheat flour with choker (Bran) along with equal quantity of jau (Barley) & chana (Gram) flour must be used while preparing food. Use of refined oil of any type must strictly be avoided.
- Drink warm water frequently.